Bhutanese Footballers Can’t Be Underestimated

“Bhutanese footballers are underestimated. I was given less time to play when I played outside for the first time. However, I worked hard to prove my potential.”

Bhutanese Footballers Can’t Be Underestimated. (Source: http://www.kuenselonline.com)

Chencho Gyeltshen, Minerva Punjab football club’s forward, is displaying the collective potential of Bhutanese footballers.

The 21-year-old is the lone Bhutanese playing for one of the top division professional leagues in India. Chencho Gyeltshen joined his new club Minerva Punjab FC on October 18 and made his debut against the Rail Coach Factory (RCF) at the Punjab state league in the same month.

He played his first I-League match against Mohun Bagan on November 25, a club that he faced as a Druk United skipper in 2013 during the King’s Cup.

Chencho Gyeltshen won the Man of the Match Award

His performance in the league caught the attention of the crowd when an equaliser and an assist led Minerva Punjab FC’s win over NEROCA FC in the second I-League match. He also won the man of the match award for pulling a comeback win against NEROCA FC.

The forward led his team in the first away match against Indian Arrows on December 12 and registered the first away match win of the season in Goa, India.

In the next game, when Minerva Punjab hosted Chennai City, Chencho Gyeltshen was a player to be reckoned with. His cross from side flank ended behind the net to double the rebound equaliser, defeating Chennai City 2-1.

In an email interview, Chencho Gyeltshen said that it was hard to gain the trust of club officials, teammates and coaches when he played for the first time.

In trying to prove his potential, he said that he is also working on opening up opportunities for upcoming Bhutanese players. “It’s difficult to reach where I am today, but I need to keep working hard.”

His career as a professional footballer began in early 2015, when he got a chance to undergo a month-long training in Thailand with Buriram United, a professional Thai football club.

Prior to joining the Minerva Punjab FC, he has also played for the Chittagong Abahani in the Bangladesh Premier League, after which he was with the Thimphu City FC at home.

“I had to choose between education and career and it was the toughest thing to do,” Chencho Gyeltshen, who left schooling after class XII, said. “I believed in myself and chose my career.”

Playing in the I-League is a dream

He said that playing in the I-League is a dream. “My supporters back home wanted me to play. They believed in my potential and insisted that I play here.”

Chencho Gyeltshen said he is one of the key players. He scored a goal against NEROCA FC, and two assists in four I-League games.

“I am satisfied with my performance to date and I aim to perform better,” he said.

“My dream is to win the title with the club and to play in the Indian Super League.”

By Nima (This article has been edited for the New Bhutan Times)

This article first appeared on Kuensel.

Related Posts

Stakeholders Discuss National Sports Policy

The Bhutan Olympic Committee submitted a proposal to the government for the development of the national sports policy....

Nov 23, 2017 07:35

Bhutanese Bodybuilders Hope to Win Medals

The 9th World Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Championships is underway in Ulaanbaatar, the Capital of Mongolia. Four...

Oct 07, 2017 18:51

The Perils of Dha – Bhutan’s National Game

Dha (Archery), the national sport of Bhutan is a double edged sword – while it is entertaining, it can also be...

Sep 30, 2017 05:33

Bhutanese Female Archer makes a Comeback

Sherab Zam is a former national archer with the Bhutan Archery Federation. The 35-year-old retired in 2013 to become a...

Oct 06, 2017 07:03

Coach Pema Returns to Lead National Squad

Coach Pema has the experience of leading the boys since he first took over the squad in the match against the Maldives...

Nov 04, 2017 17:30

Latest

News

Bhutan Lifts Ban On Rupee Note, Advises Against Holding Indian Currency In Cash

Bhutanese can now bring new series of INR 500 notes in and out of Bhutan.

Jun 20, 2018 15:17

Bhutan Joins Seeds Without Borders To Import Better Quality Seeds

The seed agreement covers a number of rice-based crops such as maize, wheat, vegetables, pulses and other crops.

Jun 18, 2018 17:40

Features

What People Are Saying About The Finale Episode Of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown: Bhutan

It was a bittersweet season finale for the late Anthony Bourdain’s show Parts Unknown.

Jun 25, 2018 14:45

63 Year Old Traditional Healer In Bhutan Has Fixed More Than A Thousand Sprains And Fractured Bones

For more than three decades, Tashi Wangdi has been fixing fractures and sprained joints in Trashigang.

Jun 23, 2018 08:43

Sports

World Cup Mania Grips Some Teenagers, Adults And Monks In Bhutan

A huge crowd has gathered in front of the massive TV screen to witness the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Jun 24, 2018 18:25

Bhutanese Sonam Rigzin Played As Goalkeeper For His Team ‘King Cobra’ In The F4F World Championship In Russia

Sonam Rigzin walked into the Sapsena Arena in Russia bearing the Bhutanese national flag to open the finals.

Jun 16, 2018 08:45

Business

Dairy Farmer In Bhutan Sells Jersey Cow Milk Which Yields Good Profits

Sonam has four cross jersey cows, three of which are milking and he is able to sell more than 30 litres of milk every day.

Jun 25, 2018 09:11

Interview With Bhutan Alternatives: A Social Enterprise Which Recycles Printer Cartridges

The firm also employed 17 female and 13 male employees from underprivileged families and high school dropouts.

Jun 22, 2018 10:55

Travel

Six Senses Bhutan Preparing For October 2018 Opening

Three of the five Six Senses luxury lodges are now taking reservations for travel starting on Nov 3, 2018.

Jun 21, 2018 10:01

Heat Maps Illustrate the Sacred Routes of Buddhist Pilgrims

In Strava’s heat maps, the devotional movements of tired pilgrims become blazing symbols of sacred geography.

Jun 18, 2018 09:32

Lifestyle

‘Do You Know Your Child’ A Popular Show In Bhutan Helps Parents Bond Better With Their Kids

Since its inception in 2013, about 264 Bhutanese children have participated in the show.

Jun 20, 2018 18:43

Mountain Echoes Literary Festival Returns On Aug 23 - Here's Why You Should Attend

This year's festival celebrates 50 years of diplomatic relations between Bhutan and India.

Jun 15, 2018 00:32

Never miss out on new happenings and news stories!