Taiwanese Athlete Tommy Chen Endures Huge Sores On Feet During 200km Marathon In Bhutan

The sores were so bad he said he could see flesh.

Taiwanese ultra-marathon runner Tommy Chen posted a photo of his injuries. (Source: Facebook/陳彥博 Tommy Chen)

By Kinley Yangden | Bhutan Times

He's done some of the world's most challenging marathons that span across deserts and the North Pole, and was also the first and only Taiwanese man to run across seven continents in five years.

Nothing proves to be too difficult for extreme athlete Tommy Chen. However, this time round, it was a test of not just physical endurance, but physical pain as well.

Chen - who was also the first Asian and youngest athlete to finish the Yukon 700km Race in Canada - took on a gruelling 200km marathon that spans across one week, taking athletes to high altitudes and through rough terrain.

The 31-year-old is currently participating in the Bhutan The Last Secret marathon that began at Punakha Dzong last Friday (May 25), crossed three passes at 3,500m-high and is slated to end at Taktsang or Tiger’s Nest in Paro tomorrow (June 1).

Source: Global-limits.com

Participants are put up in tents, monasteries and farmstays, and according to the website, toilet facilities are available but mattresses are not provided.

For someone who won the Atacama Crossing ultra marathon in Chile in 2016 and took third place in the 2010 North Pole Marathon, attempting to conquer the treacherous terrain of the Himalayas seems to be too much for Chen.

Source: Facebook/陳彥博 Tommy Chen

A small pain that turned into a disaster

The marathon is split into six stages. While attempting the fourth stage, huge blisters started to form on the soles and heels of Chen's feet.

He posted a photo of his injured feet on Facebook yesterday, describing his 38km run from Phajoding Monastery to Paro, which required marathoners to run up to 3,734m, then descend to 2,600m and up again to 3,400m.

"The body is getting more tired as the days pass. Today we went up to 3,734m. I'm not sure if it is due to the high altitude, but I started to feel fatigued and dizzy.

"I started to speed up and after 20km at the second checkpoint, my heels started to hurt. I didn't know if it was a branch or a small stone, but I didn't have time to take off my shoes.

"Little did I know that the pain would become a serious disaster."

Chen said he continued on with the race but the pain started to increase and every step he took was so painful that he felt that his "head was bursting".

Sores so bad he could see his flesh

About 28 minutes later, he reached the finish point for stage four. He stopped to check his feet and after he took off his shoes, he saw multiple blisters and sores.

"There were serious abrasions on both feet and I could see the flesh. My socks were all bloody and the pain was so excruciating that I couldn't walk," described Chen, who added that even the doctors who were present were shocked to see his condition.

After treating his injuries, a doctor told Chen that each step he takes will be painful, and also advised Chen to go for a check-up before he attempts the next stage of the marathon tomorrow.

Leading the marathon

According to the latest race results, Chen is currently leading the marathon, followed by French runner Guillaume Degoulet.

The next stage will be the longest stage of 54km, where they will enter into Paro valley.

With the sores on his feet, it is not known if Chen will continue on to complete the race.

"The other participants know that I'm already injured and there's no way I can go on, but I'm going to have to do everything I can to continue on tomorrow.

"I can only bite on my teeth and go through with it. Two more days! I hope I can go on. Please let me go on!"

Some fans advised against continuing the race

Despite his persistence, some fans have written on his Facebook post, advising him not to push on with the marathon because of his injuries.

"I don’t think that's a good idea, what if your wounds get infected? The priority of an extreme athlete is to look after his own well-being", wrote a fan known as Anna Tu.

In an update to his Facebook post, Chen commented that he will continue on with the race.

"Although my feet are injured, but in order to attain my dreams and goal, I will continue on with the race. Please support me and my two feet!"

Related Posts

Bhutanese Sonam Rigzin Played As Goalkeeper For His Team ‘King...

Sonam Rigzin walked into the Sapsena Arena in Russia bearing the Bhutanese national flag to open the finals.

Jun 16, 2018 08:45

Off To Russia: 2 Young Ambassadors Gearing Up For Football For...

Jun 06, 2018 12:27

Bhutan-India Friendship Tennis Tournament Underway In Thimphu

The tournament received more than 20 players from the seven states of India and 45 players from Bhutan.

May 31, 2018 18:10

Indian Athletes In Bhutan For High-Altitude Training Ahead Of...

Athletes from many sports use high-altitude training for a few weeks before a major match or event.

May 21, 2018 11:15

Bhutanese Athletes Preparing For The Tokyo Olympics

Japanese coaches and experts will visit Bhutan to train the athletes in preparation for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

May 05, 2018 15:46

Phub Zam Monger - First Judoka from Bhutan to Win a Medal

Of the five judokas that took part in the senior level’s 8th South Asian Judo Championship in Nepal, Phub Zam Monger was...

May 02, 2018 15:12

Latest

News

Bhutan Lifts Ban On Rupee Note, Advises Against Holding Indian Currency In Cash

Bhutanese can now bring new series of INR 500 notes in and out of Bhutan.

Jun 20, 2018 15:17

Bhutan Joins Seeds Without Borders To Import Better Quality Seeds

The seed agreement covers a number of rice-based crops such as maize, wheat, vegetables, pulses and other crops.

Jun 18, 2018 17:40

Features

Tsirang’s Farmers Grow Broom Grass To Combat Landslide

Coinciding with the World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought on June 17, the Tsirang forest division planted at least 10,000 saplings...

Jun 21, 2018 18:26

International Archives Day Highlights The Importance Of Conserving Rare Bhutanese Artefacts

There are about 30 documents at the library’s exhibition that include gold written scripts, which date back to the 13th century.

Jun 17, 2018 17:51

Sports

Bhutanese Sonam Rigzin Played As Goalkeeper For His Team ‘King Cobra’ In The F4F World Championship In Russia

Jun 16, 2018 08:45

Off To Russia: 2 Young Ambassadors Gearing Up For Football For Friendship Event In Moscow

Young footballer Rigzin Tenzin and young journalist Kinley Deki Yangzom, both 12, will be on their way to Moscow this Friday.

Jun 06, 2018 12:27

Business

Interview With Bhutan Alternatives: A Social Enterprise Which Recycles Printer Cartridges

The firm also employed 17 female and 13 male employees from underprivileged families and high school dropouts.

Jun 22, 2018 10:55

Modern Beekeeping In Dophuchen Yields Much Sought-After Bhutanese Honey, Royal Jelly And More

Other by-products such as wax, royal jelly, pollen and propolis are also in healthy demand in the market.

Jun 19, 2018 18:12

Travel

Six Senses Bhutan Preparing For October 2018 Opening

Three of the five Six Senses luxury lodges are now taking reservations for travel starting on Nov 3, 2018.

Jun 21, 2018 10:01

Heat Maps Illustrate the Sacred Routes of Buddhist Pilgrims

In Strava’s heat maps, the devotional movements of tired pilgrims become blazing symbols of sacred geography.

Jun 18, 2018 09:32

Lifestyle

‘Do You Know Your Child’ A Popular Show In Bhutan Helps Parents Bond Better With Their Kids

Since its inception in 2013, about 264 Bhutanese children have participated in the show.

Jun 20, 2018 18:43

Mountain Echoes Literary Festival Returns On Aug 23 - Here's Why You Should Attend

This year's festival celebrates 50 years of diplomatic relations between Bhutan and India.

Jun 15, 2018 00:32

Never miss out on new happenings and news stories!